December 16, 2020

Lest We Forget: The Founding Charter

 "Are you from China? Philippines? Vietnam?"

These are the questions that I get asked, usually after I say my name to new workmates and fellow students from the college and Uni.

"Nope. I am from Bhutan." I always reply. I have to pronounce it Bhootan.

"Is it China? Japan? Korea" I get asked sometimes. So then, I go on to introduce my country, the culture, costumes, language, nature, and most importantly, Happiness in Bhutan. I also show them the photos I have ready on my smartphone. 

Almost everyone wants to visit Bhutan.

...

But Bhutan as a nation state came into being through a series of events, the culmination of which took place on the 17th of December 1907 with the enthronement of Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck as the first hereditary King of Bhutan via the signing of Bhutan's most important document in history, the founding charter pictured below.

A translation is provided below;

"With utmost respect to the worthy judge, the Glorious of the dual government.

There has been no hereditary kingdom in our country of Bhutan, and the Desis have been elected from among the governors, counsellors, head lamas and master of the central state monastery. Now we, the head lama, masters, whole monk-body, state counsellors and governors with all the subjects, have discussed and unanimously arrived at the unchanging and everlasting decision as follows: We the above mentioned all having discussed and agreed, elect the governor of Trongsa, Ugyen Wangchuck, Governor-General of Bhutan, hereditary King of Bhutan, in the Palace of Great Bliss in Punakha which is the second Potala, on this auspicious day which is the13th day of the eleventh month of the Fire-Sheep year of the 15th Rabjung cycle, which corresponds to the 17th of December, 1907 AD.

We now declare our allegiance to the King installed on the Golden Throne and his heirs, and undertake to serve him and his heirs. Should anyone have bad intention or second thought, and not abide by this contract by saying this and that, he shall be expelled from our company. In witness thereof, we affix our seals."

...

Such strong trust to an individual is not just born out of affection, but the realization for the greater good. And this trust has passed down five generations, well-kept and revered, loved and cherished.

And this National Day, I reaffirm my allegiance to the Nation, my King and the people. And I swear to keep politics at bay while serving the tsa-wa-sum.

Will you not join me?

...

Source

No comments: