September 2, 2020

Reasons why I don't like Misty Terrace

I'm just kidding. I love him. He is the BEST. Now that I have your attention, the following are the reasons why I consider Misty Terrace (aka Tandin Wangchuk) as one of the best singers in Bhutan.

But before that, let me point out that his Yonphula was the song which propelled him to limelight. By the way, Misty Terrace is the band, but it has become synonymous with Tandin himself. 


Started in 2013, The Misty Terrace have been sweeping through the Bhutanese music scene with their gritty acoustic guitar hooks and distinctive vocal harmonies.

The Misty Terrace have steadily grown a reputation for their wide variety of original music, sometimes fun and danceable, sometimes stirring and intense. They constantly incorporate other styles into their sound so that no genre is off-limits. Their musical influences include Coldplay, Megadeth, Adele and Ed Sheeran. [Source: Soundcloud]

He brought the Tshangla dialect to the forefront

With his song La Nye Ngam. It has more than 625,000 views on youtube, and introduced the female cast as the la-nye-ngam girl. I like to believe that the popularity of tshangla language among the other Bhutanese became more apparent after his song. But then, this is just my speculation. 

La Nye Ngam literally means the moon. It stands for the beauty and lethal moon? That's what years of teaching literature has drummed into me. I try to find deeper meanings in Literature and Art, but the story of the song is very touching.


His Boeda renditions 

They are making our boedra a comeback. His Tshering Changmo has over 518,000 views on youtube, and has a fanbase by itself. There is also an international cover. Even Sonam Wangchen has jumped on the bandwagon.

What better way to peak the interest of the younger generation towards boedra, than have our contemporary singers sing them and make it popular.


His hairdo is creating a new wave

It is being accepted in Bhutan. Before him, there were quite a few sporting outrageous hairdo that were not socially accepted. But his hairdo started the trend. It is a brand in itself, which he must capitalize before someone takes it away (lol). 

But I also want to point out that my daughter Mentsuen also sports a similar hairdo, and sings almost all of his songs especially Dawamo.


But I wonder why his Social Media accounts aren't verified yet. I want to point my friends and readers to follow, like, share, comment, do what you do on his social media accounts below to get his accounts verified.

Instagram | Twitter | YouTube Channel | Facebook | Facebook Page | Soundcloud |

Image Credit: Google

No comments: