November 23, 2017

Rising up to the Nations Call

Who hasn't heard of Surjaman Thapa? He was the face on BBS TV that everyone knew as he covered news in central Bhutan including Bumthang and Trongsa.


And recently, I had the pleasure of his company during a training-workshop at Paro. And as I conversed with him I found a well informed man, someone with lots of experiences regarding the various acts of Bhutan. It was refreshing to debate with him and ask clarifications regarding the different issues in Bhutan, because he has seen them all, reported and researched on them while preparing his news reports.

And I was not surprised when he confided in me that he wanted to contest as a NC aspirant candidate from Dagana. Business Bhutan's Dechen Dolkar has a story on this.
...
Also as an afterthought, it really pains me to hear people refer to a Member of Parliament of National Assembly of Bhutan as 'MP' while the Members of Parliament of National Council of Bhutan are referred to as 'NC'.

Dr. Jagar Dorji has touched the composition of the Parliament of Bhutan in his Parliament: The Legislative Arm of the Bhutanese State, which is self-explanatory and will clear the misnomers used.