August 24, 2020

Links I Like: Freedom of Expression

Pandemics like Covid-19 may come and go, but my University studies continue, albeit online. Using my University's eLearning platform called VU Collaborate, I am checking on my lectures, messages, presentations and even uploading assignments there.

But my eye is always on Bhutan, where the 155th case of positive Covid-19 was detected in a man in quarantine in Thimphu. But what caught my attention was the Kuensel editorial of the day pointing to information shared by the Health Ministry. Today it is about poultry feeds, yesterday it was Nirmala Pokhrel. So is the issue really about misinformation or unavailability of information?

Not to be crude, but if the mainstream media is not allowed to report news, then anonymous Bhutanese will soon share them online. The death of Bhutanomics didn't spell the birth of press freedom or freedom of expression. RTI died on the NC table while Media Council was born out of its ashes...or should I say out of a different ash? Freedom House has us at 58 points out of 100 in 2020.

Dr. Lotey's team is doing a tremendous job at keeping the Covid-19 at bay (right man at the right time), but Sonam Tshering's stand also holds true. I would always trust a lawyer any day, but then am I not a Bhutanese taught to trust blindly? 

I have just been tweeting my thoughts and updates since there were just 15 Covid-19 cases detected in Bhutan, and I can read my thoughts go haywire even as more cases were detected in Bhutan. Just today, two Bhutanese were reported positive in Melbourne as per the official press-release by the Druk Melbourne Association executives (yes, there is an executive team even here among the Bhutanese diaspora in Melbourne). But truth be told, I was aware of these cases weeks ago; our grapevine is faster and better here too.

My condolences go more towards the second positive case reported in Melbourne who had not contributed to the Covid-19 reserve fund here. The CTFP in Melbourne could provide only emotional support. I wish the purse strings were loosened for them too, after all we are Bhutanese in Melbourne. Bhutanese!

But then at the end of the day, I should be a responsible netizen, though responsibly is certainly up for grabs. Meanwhile let me return to my university assignment-essay on Anonymity in Bhutanese Social Media users and leave you guys to check out the links I posted above.

Till then, see you next time I upload more links I like.

Image Credit: Bloggingtheologically.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

��