December 31, 2008

The Night That Was

I staggered up the stairs…to the bedrooms. The lights in the corridor were dimmed, and the blasts of music and laughter followed me till I closed the door to the first room I came across. In the dark I could feel my head, heavy…my eyes, drooping…as I groped along the wall, looking for a switch. My nails scraped along wooden paneling but I couldn’t find what I was looking for.


Slowly my eyes got accustomed to the darkness…and I could see a bed. I headed towards it, kicking off my shoes in the process. I felt around on the bed. My hands came across something soft; probably a mink blanket.

So... this bed is empty. I took off my pants and t-shirt. Where’s my jacket??...I must have left it downstairs, by the makeshift-bar. I laid on the bed and pulled the blanket.

“Uhh……..”

 Shit…what was that??...I froze… Was that a female voice?

Again I pulled…there was a movement on the other side of the bed, the side where I had failed to check…

“Achuu…nga ya bjam may way…”  I am also feeling cold…

That was definitely a female voice!!

I was practically numb…all the beer and whisky evaporated from my head in an instant…

“Yaa…bjamba chin na sho…” …come here if you are feeling cold…

I was offered space…I snuggled towards the voice…

“Thanks”…I tested.

Silence… The other person had frozen now…there was a hustle as the other person sat up…I did the same.

In the semi-darkness, we were two shapes staring at each other.

“Gamo?...naa gachi bao??” Who are you? What are you doing here??

“Nga yaa?…ngaywa hoong yi tey…sorry mey…nga room empty du say hoong yi” …..me?…came to sleep…sorry, thought the room was empty…

I slipped off the bed, stood up…

Crash!! I was on the floor… “Ala…wai…” My head was throbbing more from the fall than from the drinks.


…to be continued …

No comments: