October 17, 2024

Fewer Words have Deeper Impact.

His Majesty The King, who was accompanied by Her Majesty The Gyaltsuen, and Their Royal Highnesses Gyalsey Jigme Namgyel, Gyalsey Ugyen Wangchuck, and Gyalsem Sonam Yangden Wangchuck, granted an audience to Bhutanese in Canberra on 13th of October 2024. Many Bhutanese from other nearby areas also joined the audience, notably from Melbourne. I and my family drove all the way from Melbourne to Canberra for this joyous occasion. We were blessed by his majesty walking among the audience, meeting his subjects and interacting with us. I wrote this piece after the event.
........................................................................................

He walks along the line of chairs, his presence commanding attention as he approaches us, trailed by his entourage.

"How many years have you been here?" he asks, his deep, resonant voice momentarily freezing me in place. His right hand rests firmly on my shoulder, grounding me. I bow slightly, lost in the moment, my mouth lightly covered by my cupped palm.

"Four years, la," I hear myself whisper, barely audible.

He offers a warm, reassuring pat on my shoulder before continuing on his way.

Then, she follows in his footsteps, moving with effortless grace.

"Are both of these your children?" she asks, her gaze kind as she looks at my wife and me.

"Yes, la," we reply, bowing slightly.

"How wonderful that you have both your children with you (in this distant land)" she smiles.
Her smile is radiant—so powerful it could set a thousand ships to sail.

In that brief but meaningful exchange, we feel profoundly honored. Though the moment is fleeting, its impact is lasting. It becomes a story we eagerly share with anyone willing to listen.

The 600-mile journey from Melbourne to Canberra, those seven hours on the road, were more than worth it. We are truly blessed.


[Photo courtesy of Kuensel]


No comments: